Why use a Rain Barrel?
- To catch rain water that falls on your roof for future use, thus reducing polluted storm water flow into streams
- To provide water for gardens when needed, thus reducing use of purified potable water for gardening (reducing
your immediate costs for water)
Workshops are ongoing, as needed, 9 am – 11 am, first and third Saturdays, April 2 through October 15 (no workshop on July 4 Holiday Weekend).
- July 16
- August 6
- August 20
- September 3
- September 17
- October 1
- October 15
Alpha Ridge Landfill – 2350 Marriottsville Rd, Marriottsville, MD 21104 — At the gazebo just inside the main gate.
Howard County residents are eligible to receive a free 55-gal barrel (with cut-outs for fittings) from the County. All that you as a resident and rain barrel recipient need to do is:
- Buy fittings and assemble the rain barrel
- Click for Instructions with Fittings
- Use and maintain the rain barrel
- Fill out a pledge to properly use the rain barrel
- Take part in a short Master Gardener-led workshop
No advance registration required.
Click for 2016 RAIN BARREL handout